It's Christmas Eve! Merry Christmas for tomorrow. So, you know that weird time of year in between Christmas and New Years where no one really knows what's going on? I wanted to give you some ideas for what you can do to end the year and reset for 2023. I hope you are able to finish the end of the year with intention and excited for the new year to come. Let me preface by saying: I am all about relaxing, taking it slow and chilling but if you were looking for something to do, take advantage of this week!
1. Reflect and journal on the year that has been
- Write down your favourite parts
- Write down your hardest / most challenging parts
- Write down what you learnt through your most challenging parts and how you can tackle next year's hurdles with a different approach
- Write down one word you want for 2023
2. Plan a reflection day and 2023 planning day
- Brenton and I had a long lunch the other day and reflected on all the crazy, amazing and challenging moments of 2022. It was so nice to chat about things and really reflect on everything that has happened this year and take it all in.
- For the 2023 planning day, I am going to do this with Brenton once Christmas is over. We are going to chat about our goals, dreams and ideas for 2023 and create some strategies on how we can achieve these goals. I am really looking forward to it!
3. Set goals, intentions, resolutions and moodboards
- On the same wavelength, create some goals that you have for next year and write them down.
- I also love creating a moodboard for the year where I will pop inspo pics and ideas on there. I have been praying for clarity on what God wants me to do in 2023 and will put those goals on the moodboard, too.
4. Clean out your cupboard
- It feels so good to clean out your cupboard! I cleaned mine out two days ago and donated clothes yesterday. With the other things, I will sell them at the markets (Sydney gals, I am selling soooo much of my pre-loved stuff in Jan at a local market stall, lmk if you're interested I'll send you the details)
5. Clean out your phone & laptop
I did this yesterday and it felt so good to delete random photos from my camera roll of recipes that never worked out or just random content that I never used. I also cleaned out folders on my laptop and made it all fresh, organised and ready for another year of work.
6. Book your appointments or schedule them into your calendar
You know, rego, insurance, all that fun adulty stuff.
7. Brain dump everything you need to do
I like to make a huge list of random things I want to do around the house / need to buy / want to organise / whatever else and put it on a big list. Whenever I have some time in the new year, I'll tackle something from the list. And even if I don't tackle the list, I have peace of mind just brain dumping and getting it out of my mind!
- Start a series
- Find a podcast you love and go for a long walk
- Take it slow
- Do something for you
9. Do a stocktake of anything that shouldn't be a part of your life
This is really important. What you watch, listen to, who you hang out with and what you spend your time doing really will change the trajectory of your life. One of the pastors from my church says "show me your friends and I'll show you your future". Matthew 6:22-23 says “Your eye is like a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is filled with light. 23 But when your eye is unhealthy, your whole body is filled with darkness. And if the light you think you have is actually darkness, how deep that darkness is!"
- On social media: who are you following? Do they make you feel happy, positive, inspired and encouraged?
- Do your friends encourage you, help you out, lift you up, speak truth into you and support you?
- Do you take care of your body? 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (ESV) “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
I did a stocktake on all of this years ago when I was really unhappy. I was unhappy with my friendship group, I was caught up in the drinking every weekend scene, not looking after my body and just felt all round crappy. I made a conscious decision to put God first and pursue real friendships and wow my life did a complete 180!
10. Deep clean the house
Deep clean the shower, clean out the fridge, wash the lounge or linen bedhead, clean out the pantry (@me - if you saw my story the other day lols). You know, all the stuff you don't have time for every week (at least I don't, anyway).
Remember, everyone relaxes and decompresses in different ways. Some people thrive off cleaning, others thrive off just chilling for a week. Do what works for you!